Tarhovo is a village in Northern Bulgaria. It is located in the Municipality of Sevlielvo, District of Gabrovo.
The village is located 8 miles away from the Municipal centre – the Town of Sevlievo, 13 miles away from the District centre – the Town of Gabrovo, 13 miles from the Town of Dryanovo and 28 miles away from the City of Veliko Tarnovo.
The village is situated at the foot of the Stara Planina and offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities. It is near the eponymous Tarhovo Dam and also there is a nearby equestrian centre.
In the village, there is a village hall, a community centre, a church and a shop. The population of the village is about 90 people, according to the latest census. There are ex-pats living in Tarhovo as well as holiday homeowners.
The village of Tarhovo originated back in the Middle Ages as a centre of falconry where falcons were trained to be used for hunting by the retinue of the Bulgarian king who lived in the nearby capital of Tarnovo. When the Ottomans took over the territory of the Kingdom of Tarnovo, falconry in Tarhovo was not only preserved but also developed to perfection. People engaged in this craft, which required a lot of time and effort, were organised into a category of population with a special status.
The Church of Saint Dimitar in Tarhovo was built in 1860. It was consecrated in 1865. In 1933, a major repair was carried out on the church, which was damaged by the earthquake in 1913.
The most attractive landmarks in the area are:
– An Orthodox church “St. Dimitar” in the village of Tarhovo – built in 1860;
– Tarhovo Dam – an excellent place for sport fishing;
– Dryanovo Monastery “St. Archangel Michael”, founded in the 12th century, situated in the picturesque gorge of Dryanovo River;
– Bacho Kiro Cave – a four-storey labyrinth of galleries and corridors with a total length of 3,600 m, situated only 300 m away from the Dryanovo Monastery. It is embedded in the canyons of the Andaka and Dryanovo River;
– Kolyu Ficheto Museum, Dryanovo – the exhibition was opened on 20 July 1969 in memory of the renowned master builder;
– Historical and Architectural Reserve “Bozhentsi”, opened in 1964. The small mountain village of Bozhentsi has preserved its entire Revival appearance and is therefore kept in a form close to its appearance in the 13th to 19th centuries.