District of Targovishte consists of 5 municipalities – Targovishte, Popovo, Omurtag, Opaka and Antonovo. It borders with 5 districts – Ruse, Razgrad, Veliko Tarnovo, Shumen and Sliven.
The settlements in the District of Targovishte have a total of 194, and the population is approximately 120 818 people.
The area is served by I-4, which is a path of prime importance. Secondary roads are used for intra-regional routes.
The town of Targovishte is the administrative center of the Municipality and the District of Targovishte.
The most interesting cultural and natural landmarks in the area are:
– Regional Historical Museum – Targovishte, established in 1959 – the museum has two permanent expositions – archaeological and ethnographic, house museum of Nikola Simov (Kuruto), and two emblematic buildings – the Sveshtarov house and the Slaveikov school. In the halls of the Slaveikov School, various thematic and mobile exhibitions are periodically opened. The museum enjoys increased interest from young audiences as well as active cooperation with local schools;
– Hadji Angelova House – Museum in Targovishte. Hadji Angelova House is an exceptional architectural and historical monument located in the City of Targovishte. The house dates back to 1863 and is owned by the Bulgarian merchant Hadji Angel Drumev. This landmark is a typical house in the revival style, decorated with wood carvings. Today the house functions as a museum. The exhibits there are part of the furniture and household items of the rich merchant – beautiful furniture, carpets, paintings, expensive things, etc. It can be considered tools used in viticulture, pottery and agriculture.
– Drama Theater – Targovishte – State Theater, founded in 1969. It creates its own production and accepts guest houses;
– The local regional library “Petar Stapov” is located in the City of Targovishte;
– Borovo Eye Lake – is located in the park of the same name in the southwestern part of Targovishte. Water lilies can be seen by the lake’s lane, and in summer water and fish are placed in the waters. In the park around the lake there are alleys for walks, benches for recreation and restaurant;
– Waterfall in the locality of Boaza (4 miles from Targovishte) – the waterfall is located in the Boaza area, next to the main road Varna-Sofia. It is formed by an underground stream of the Vrana River, which is on the rock surface and is about 5 meters high;
– Aviation Park in Omurtag – located right at the entrance of the city. The idea for the construction of outdoor exposure is the second Bulgarian cosmonaut – Alexander Alexandrov. There are three airplanes in the aviation fleet with which Alexandrov flew, a rocket launcher and aviation equipment. The complex is extremely attractive for both small and large visitors;
– Near the City of Targovishte, at the foot of the Preslav mountain, there are the ruins of a large town, which arose in the Late Roman period (18th-18th centuries). Misionis, also known as Krumovo Kale, was situated on a hill above the river, in the Boaza Pass. Today it is declared part of our cultural heritage and is included in the list of Hundred National Tourist Sites;
– The Rock Monastery in Krepcha – there is the oldest inscription of Cyrillic in Bulgaria.