Voditsa is a village in Northeastern Bulgaria. It is located in the municipality of Popovo, District of Targovishte and is 11 miles west of the town of Popovo.
Just next to the village passes the Republican road II-51 from Byala to Popovo. It borders on the lands of the villages: Tsar Asen, Kovachevets, Posabina, Asenovo, Nikolaevo, Lom Cherkovna and Osikovo. One part of the village is flat and the other is situated on four hills. With the villages Posabina and Asenovo it’s connected by black roads and to the rest of the neighboring villages, by asphalt roads.
The village is situated on the river between the Cherni Lom River and the Baniska Lom River on the small creek, a tributary of Banishki Lom and bearing the name of the village. The land of Voditsa is situated in extremely favorable natural conditions – abundant clean Balkan water, green pastures, deciduous forests and fertile soil.
About 600 people live in Voditsa, including several Englishmen who have settled here in recent years, enjoying the beauty, tranquility and good-hearted people.
In Voditsa there is a working kindergarten, a primary school and a very active community center.
Today’s settlement was born during the Second Bulgarian Kingdom. Since then, it has been named after Voditsa, without being changed once. Not only it sounds nice, but it is also tied to the many springs in the area. Beyond the road is the water dam “Voditsa”. Over the years many fountains have been built, which have long been a major source of drinking water, and today they are of interest to travelers who want to experience clean, good spring water.
At the end of the 19th century a mineral water spring was also found in Voditsa. Not simply a mineral water spring, but to this day the deepest mineral spring in Bulgaria! To reach the surface, water flows from 800 to 1,400 meters across the earth’s bowels.
Another pride of the village is the church “St. Georgi “, which was declared a Renaissance monument. It was built in 1859 and during the Russian-Turkish War (1877-1878) it was temporarily used as an infirmary for Russian troops. During the war half of the village was burnt down, including the temple. Two icons that survive today are preserved in the Historical Museum in Popovo.
In 1880 the construction of a new, larger church, on the site of the burned, began. In the courtyard of the church was erected a monument (brotherly tomb) of seven dead Russian soldiers in the Russian-Turkish war.